Wednesday, February 3, 2010

HAWAII-take 2.

Hawaii. I love this place. My dad brought my whole family here last June and Chris and I decided to come back. We were going on a vacation anyway with some free flights that we had, so we decided that if the flights were free, coming to Hawaii was just as affordable as going anywhere else for the week! This is the first time in over three years that I am not pregnant or nursing, so it is a celebration- Our first time away from the babies. Not that leaving them was a celebration, but it is a celebration to come on a vacation!
We are here on the north shore, staying in a town called Waialua. It is on the north shore, just minutes from most of the famous surfing beaches on this island. I love how Chris and I vacation. We kind of just take everyday at a time, and do whatever we want. We roll out of bed whenever, eat at weird times, and wear strange clothes. My favorite thing that we do is eat. I am so serious. We are in the middle of a meal and we are talking about what we are going to eat next. Last night the menu was hot dogs with cheese in the middle (Chris' choice) marshmallows and bananas. We went on a hike and then cooked out on the beach. It was so fun! I can't forget to make mention of the shave ice, either. We counted last night and I think we have already gone to get shave ice 4 times. They put ice cream in the bottom of the shave ice and after a few minutes of eating you get down to the bottom and it is this big mushy mess of ice cream, and shaved ice. So delicious. They don't skimp on the flavoring syrup, either. Maybe that is the secret. That and the ice cream. Yum.
The other highlight of our trip has been surfing! Chris went once before, but this was my first time. We also tried "SUP" surfing (stand up paddle) It was really fun, too! We went in this river and I was so afraid to fall in because it looked like there could be giant anacondas waiting for unsuspecting tourists to fall into the water. (Did you ever see the movie Swiss Family Robinson-that's what I was envisioning...eek)




We've done a little hiking, a little window shopping, and we actually found a couple of cool things for the boys. I mailed them two little horses on Monday, so hopefully they get them today. The other thing I found was this little set of wooden fruit that the pieces velcro together, and the set comes with a wooden knife. It is so fun! Tate will love it. They had a display in the store and Chris and I kept slicing the fruit over and over, and then putting the pieces together again and doing it one more time. There was just something so fulfilling about it. Maybe it was just the methodical process? Weird, I know!
More picture and the rest of the trip to follow. I forgot my cord to upload the pictures to the computer.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh how fun! I love that little fruit set. I can totally picture how satisfying it would be to slice that fruit. Haha. And you are brave. By the looks of that river, there's NO WAY I could've gone out into the water. Hope you guys have a great last couple of days!

Nicole said...

That is so fun! I'm so glad you guys got to get away! One day Jonathan and I will get to escape to Hawaii!!

Trisha said...

I am SO excited that you guys got to go...BY YOURSELVES!!! Talk about heaven. I'm so glad you had a fun time. Can't wait for all the pictures.

Erin said...

I've still never been to Hawaii. It looks like so much fun!

Natalie said...

How awesome for you guys! Sounds like a wonderful vacation.