Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My first Triathlon



Hello. I finished my first sprint Triathlon. I have wanted to do one for a while now, and then when my friend Mary Anne did her first one in July I was inspired! There was some girls from church who were doing their first one at the same time, so it was fun to have them there to ask questions and everything. Two of my room mates from EA were there as well. They both CREAMED ME. But we won't talk about that! :) I am already plotting how I am going to improve my time next year. I see how they can be addicting like people have told me they are!
Girls from church:

For some reason I was really concerned about what I was going to wear. I didn't know if I should wear a swimsuit and then throw clothes on over and then I didn't know how I would wear a sports bra too. So you see it was quite the dilemna. I ended up getting these Nike quick dry clothes that I swam in, and then just threw a shirt on to bike and run. (Sports bra built in) I was happy how that part worked out.

The breakdown:
Swim-400m 10:44
Bike-10.3 miles 54:20
Run-3 miles 28:01

Total- 1:33:05

I wasn't quite as fast as I wanted to be. I wanted to finish under 1:30, but I have some adjustments that I think would take at least 10 minutes off my time. For one, I had a mountain bike. All these people kept passing me on their road bikes. It seemed they were pedaling not nearly as hard as me and going significantly faster! Frustrating.I think that would shave 10 minutes right there. And I just need to run faster and swim faster. Sounds genius, eh?
I hear there is one in Pima on April 30th and May 1st. I think I will do that one. Any one else want to join? Party in Pima!
Swim:
Bike: (I can't get over how cool I look)

Run:


Friends Kristal (on left) and Marlee (the ones that creamed me) Ok, well Marlee had a baby in Sept. so she did a relay and only did one segment, but she would have creamed me. Kristal got 3rd overall for our age group. She kept telling me how out of shape she was and how she hadn't trained. :)


I would like to thank my sponsor and my photogtapher:

And thanks to my mom who ended up watching the boys that morning!

It was seriously fun and I am already looking forward to another. It was the perfect excuse to have to get in shape! It was annoying some days to think "I have to go swim today, or I am never going to be able to do the triathlon" but in the end I am so glad that I had that extra incentive.

11 comments:

Aaron and Joy said...

Great job, what an accomplishment! I'm not sure if I could do a triathalon, I don't think I'd be any good at the biking :).

Lindsay said...

Good for you, you did a great job! Once I have this baby I would love to get into shape for one of those. Good luck on the next.

Mary Anne said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH! Isn't it so funny how what you are going to wear is like the biggest deal? I was worried about that too, and with the one we're doing on Thanksgiving it's the thing my siblings are asking me the most about. You're not alone there, but I think you looked and did great! I didn't know what to do about the sports bra, but I saw a bunch of girls that wore one under their swimsuit. Clever. And I just rode my bike wet as a dog :) Quick dry clothes was genius. I think a road bike would definitely be nice! I recommend it. Mountain bikes are just too heavy :) Seriously I'm so proud of you!!! Triathlons are so fun (never in my life did I think I'd ever say that...) and we need to do one together someday. End of story.

Erin said...

That's awesome Melissa! I want to go with the crowd (since it seems everyone and their mom are doing these now!) and do the one in Pima with you! That would be so fun. I'll have to find a partner to train with me. Hhhmm... let me think who in the world would take on that project?

Maryjane said...

Are you kidding me?! A triathlon! Get outta town! Thats amazing, maybe I'll start training to do one, now that I'm not working anymore!

Nikki said...

HOLY COW! I can't believe how good you are. A triathalon is the last thing on my list; mainly because I really can't swim and it freaks me out to have to run that far. :) Love you!

(Oh! I'm sending something to your mom for you because I can't get your address right!)

Anonymous said...

Good job Melissa! I think I'm going to start training now and do the one in Pima in April. I have been wanting to get in shape for a long time anyway so that will give me some crazy motivation!

Natalie said...

Way to go! That's so awesome!

Trisha said...

I'm so bummed we didn't get to see eachother. Great job on the triatholon! You are awesome.

The Riding Family said...

Nice job Melissa! I think triathlons are addicting...don't you? I had the same frustrations about clothing, but the problem got mostly solved when I realized I had to wear a wet suit. Cody had to use a mountain back also...so sorry!

Amanda said...

that's awesome! I really wanted to do that one, but totally gave up training because of the whole wordrobe dilema. :) I hope I can do the next one.. where do you practice swimming?