Thursday, January 31, 2008

Our new addition

So we have a new addition to our refrigerator. Lets welcome "Amoxcicillin". I was holding Tate on Monday evening and all of the sudden he kind of snuggles into me like he's tired. I thought, "that's really weird; Tate never snuggles." So he fell asleep in my arms and while I'm holding him he starts feeling kind of warm. He woke up after a few minutes and I took his temperature and it was 102.2. Then he was breathing kind of fast too. So then he starts opening and closing his eyes and is just LETHARGIC. He won't even lift his head off of my shoulder. So inside i'm kind of freaking out, forgetting every iota of anything I ever learned in school because this is different. THIS IS MY BABY!! And he has never been sick before. And I have to keep calm on the outside because Chris is right there and he assumes I should know everything about sick chidren since I'm around things like this every time that I go to work. So I gave Tate some Tylenol and we started driving to the Urgent Care in Gilbert. So it turns out that Tate has two ear infections and he was wheezing. So now we have amoxicillin and we have albuterol breathing treatments-to keep those airways open.


So the above picture is actually totally posed. The last picture I have of Tate and I is probably in Sept. So I've decided that I have to take matters into my own hands and I have resorted to setting the auto timer on the camera and taking pictures of Tate and I. How lame is that? It takes forever too. This one probably took us 6 tries, just to get us both in the picuture, the nebulizer in the mouth and the book open before the picture took.

Despite all of this Tate is still quite a good sport. This incident made me realize how much I love this kid. It was a whole new playing field. I was worried like I've never been worried before. I'm so grateful for my chance to have a FOREVER family because at this point I'm kind of attached to the little monster.



13 comments:

Lindsay Riggs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay Riggs said...

Scary! Hope he gets over it quickly!

Gina Lee said...

Okay so I have been there I dont know how many times with Porter. He has had a couple double ear infections, and he also had blood in his stool...so that ended in a trip to the ER. And just now as I was writting this I hear a HUGE crash noise in the living room and my heart jumped into me throat as I RUN out there, and Porter had just thrown his plastin rattle toy into the wall..a few times. haha. So it never ends. Being a mommy is the best thing in the world, but I have also found it to be the most terrifying thing as well. So bitter sweet!

Mary Anne said...

oh no! I'll admit I've been checking your blog quite frequently (I'm such a stalker) because I love to hear what's up with you guys, but it's too bad that Tate is sick! I've always wondered how in the world you know how to take care of a baby...like how you know they're sick. Scary. But you did great!

Mary Anne said...

P.S. is that buttermilk syrup behind the medicine? it looks familiar. Mmmmm...

Mary Anne said...

P.S. is that buttermilk syrup behind the medicine? it looks familiar. Mmmmm...

Nicole said...

Tate is getting so big! I hope he feels better soon!

Spencer and Marlee said...

I LOVE BUTTERMILK SYRUP!! had some the other night! I am sorry to hear about Tate! I hope that he continues to feel better!

Erin said...

I hate that I am the one who takes pictures, so I never get pictures taken of myself. Not that I need tons of pictures of myself, but it would be nice to be able to look back at what I looked like.

Too bad babies don't come with a little handbook. I just won't know what to do in those situations at all!

Powell Family said...

It is so hard to watch your baby be sick! The worst is when their little nose is stuffed up and they can't breath. Poor Tate. Allie has had a couple of ear infections and they make her so sad. I have to admit I am a little selfish and take advantage of the snuggle time I get with her when she is sick. It's the one time she will bury her head into me and snuggle for more than 2 seconds. Feel better take! Good luck Mom!

Erin said...

I hope Tate gets better soon! It totally is a freaky moment when it's your kid. It looks like you're doing well despite all of that, though. I love the posed picture. I have zero pics of Nate and I together cause I'm always the one snapping the picture.

Ben and Chelsee said...

I am so glad you listen to talk radio too!! What happened to us?? Seriously I think it is hilarious that I act like a middle aged woman at the ripe age of 23. No one else I know listens to talk radio, so I am glad to know that I am not alone. I have never called in, HAVE YOU?? Oh my gosh Melissa if you have it will make my day! It would be even better if you actually got through. I have wanted to call in, but I am too chicken. I know I would forget my point and try to be funny or start sporadically singing. I can picture the humiliation now...

Traci said...

So sad...hope he gets better soon!