Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Back to Reality (thankfully!)

Our crazy month of June is finally over. It was fun, but I hate feeling like I'm away from home all the time. It's been quite a month! A quick recap:
My parents went to Hawaii for 8 days at the beginning of June and Chris and I were watching the kids. 12yo Daniel (below) decided that it would be a good time to have his appendix removed while they were in Hawaii, so I had to call my parents from the Emergency room, finally getting a hold of them while they were on some catamaran ride in the middle of the ocean to get permission to do surgery. He stayed in the hospital from Mon-Thurs, and Chris had a business trip in Georgia from Tues-Thurs, so it was an adventure. Luckily my 21yo bro and 18yo sister were able to split time with me at the hospital, and the younger ones watched Tate.


The next week was girls camp on Mt. Lemmon. My friend and I were in charge of camp decor, so I had this company my dad works with make this huge star out of styrofoam- I thought it turned out so cool! It had to be duct taped together a total of 3 times during camp, but when it was standing, it was pretty neat. I was the camp nurse, and let me tell you, it was a full time job. I handed out more ibuprofen, tylenol and ice than I ever could have imagined. It was actually pretty fun. One of the girls got lost on her hike..now when I say lost I mean she was lost for 4-5 hours and search and rescue had to find her with a helicopter. Luckily it was a happy ending and she was able to return to camp that evening. That has never happened to me at girls camp before.


The next week we went to the annual Smith/Gable Lake trip at Apache Lake. I unfortunately forgot my camera, but Tate took his first real steps while we were at the lake. He loved the water at the lake because it was pretty warm. It was so fun. The week after that, Tate and I went to San Diego with my family for a couple of days. Tate hated the water (too cold!), but he loved the beach. He loved smashing these sand castles:
My little brothers built this big tower that they called "Tate's tower". Chris wasn't able to come at the last minute and we missed him!

Chris recently switched companies that he works for, and he now works for a company called "Medical Office Brokers" He has been really busy with all of the changes, and we are excited for the future with this company. He still is selling commercial real estate, and lately his main clients are dentists. He has gotten pretty savvy about the dental field, and he also recently started representing dentists who are looking to buy or sell a practice. It's called "Practice Transitions." The training in Georgia was for that. His new office is in Scottsdale, so it's even better that we're moving to Gilbert! The commute from Casa Grande to Scottsdale would have been even longer than the commute to Mesa.
/
Our house is coming along. Over the 4th of July we worked on the house all day Friday and Saturday. We were able to get the entire thing repainted, and we had a guy come and fix all the holes and do all the other drywall repairs. Hopefully we will be moved in a couple of weeks. I am excited to post some before and after pics...stay tuned.

8 comments:

Powell Family said...

Wow you have had a really busy month! I can't believe how old all your siblings are! Poor Daniel...poor you! That is quite the adventure to undertake while your parents were gone. I love the picture of Daniel and Tate. So cute! And the picture of you under the star! How fun to work on your house! I can't wait to see pictures!

Stacy said...

Well no wonder you have not put up a post in a long time. You have been way too busy! It seems everyday has been an adventure for you! Congrats to the little man on his first steps...he will be running before you know it.

Stock Family said...

Of course your parents were out of town when Daniel needed surgery!! Holy cow! I'm glad everything worked out okay. Sheesh, you were busy in June!

Alyssa said...

Sounds like you guys have been so busy! I'm excited for Chris's new job. Sounds great. We keep wondering when you guys will officially be in your house. We need to have you over!!

Brenna said...

That is a really nice camera cause those are awesome photographs... SOOO Pro-fession-al! :) Totally CRAZY about the search & rescue! No-fair nothing cool like that ever happened when you & I went!jk ha! Nice star too! Way cute! Ahh camp times were fun eh! I miss those girls...I am sure your new ward girls are just as crazy cool though! Looks like you had a blast!

Garet and Amanda said...

Wow you have been BUSY!!! But it all sounds like so much fun.

Mary Anne said...

busy busy busy! It seems like it's been that way for a few bloggers and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has some catching up to do. I can't believe that about your brother's appendix...you are probably the best person I can think of to have that happen too though. Not only are you a nurse, but you are extremely good under stress :)

I LOVE that star. You are amazing.

It sounds like you've just been having a ball, but sometimes it's nice to just come back to normal everyday life (whatever that is!)

Can't wait to see pictures of the house!

Spencer and Marlee said...

Wow, Sounds like a busy time for you!! I bet your parents were glad that you were there taking care of the kids.
I bet the girls had such a fun time with you at camp. That star was awesome! I have never heard of someone getting last at girls camp like that. That is scary. Im sure it happens more that I am aware of.
Tate is ADORABLE!! He is so cute! I have not seen him in a a long time. We need to have a girls weekend sometime. That would be fun!