Thursday, July 17, 2008

One Year ago Today...

This is what I looked like: (Just ignore the chipmunk cheeks. )



One year ago today I was at the hospital waiting for Tate to be born! Chris and I went to the hospital at 7am on 7/17/07 to be induced with Tate. I wanted him to have today as his birthday, but he thought otherwise. So I was started on pitocin, and had wimpy contractions all day (they didn't even hurt). My Dr. came in about 5 0r 6 in the evening and told me he was going to let me keep going, and that he wasn't going to break my water because...I don't remember, but he said it would be best if he didn't. Then he went to check me to see if I was progressing down there, and he accidently broke my water. Ooops. So keep in mind I haven't eaten all day, or been able to walk around. So he let me have an hour break to walk around and go to the cafeteria and get chicken broth or something, and then I came back and got back on all the monitors and started the pitocin again. By this time the contractions were starting to hurt. I labored until about 1030pm, and then glory halleluiah I decided to get an epidural. I didn't want to have an epidural leading up to this point, but having been induced I wasn't getting any rest between contractions. I mean usually you get a break for a minute or 2 between contractions, but there were no breaks. One would stop, and then almost immediately another would start. Anyway, so I got the epidural. You should too. The anesthesiologist was probably all done about 11pm, and then I fell asleep until 2am on the 18th, when the nurse came in to check me and said, "oh, you're ready to deliver. Let me call the Dr." It was pretty cool to miss that whole last part of labor. I don't even feel bad about it at all. So, the Dr. got there about 0230, and Tate Patten Smith was born at 0245. The End.


First family photo:

So his birthday is actually the 18th of July. Today is my sister Kaley's birthday (16!) but I guess Tate didn't want to share a birthday. I think of how my life has changed since he was born, and how much I love that little rascal, and I feel so blessed. I read a quote somewhere once that "a baby is the tiniest thing I ever put my whole heart into" and I think it's true. He takes so much work sometimes, but it is so worth it when he kisses me, or when I can see all the little things that he learns everyday. It's true, I can't sleep in until whenever I want, and he pretty much monopolizes my attention a lot of the time, but I love it! I mean there's ups and downs, but the journey is fun. I took these pictures this morning:
I love those little teeth!

We're having a little Luau birthday party on Saturday with my family and Chris' family. I'm excited. The part I am most excited about is we are going to have a Tate talent show. I wrote down a list of some of the things he has learned or done over the past year, and he is hopefully going to show off. He probably won't do anything I want him to, but I think it will be fun. Some of his talents include: walking, clapping, dancing, shaking his head "no", saying "dada", combing his hair with a brush, brushing his teeth, giving kisses, and waving "bye". And he's going to show off his 3 teeth as well. Pretty boring, normal stuff, I know. But I am still excited. There actually is one more part of his party that I am really excited about...but it's a secret! And since some family members are blog readers and may be attending the party, I will have to wait to disclose. I can't believe that he will be one already. Time flies!

Happy birthday Kaley! (On the left) Sweeeeeet Sixteen!




5 comments:

Lindsay Riggs said...

He sure is a cutie! Riley's birthday is the 20th :)

Amanda said...

I want to guess what the surprise is. :) But I won't... Happy Birthday Tate! He is so cute! And about the epidural, I was the same way, I totally didn't want one, then I has hooked to an IV and had pitocin too, it's so much better when you're relaxed and can enjoy it!

Powell Family said...

I loved this post! It is insane how much love you can feel for such a little person...even when they are truly testing your last nerve. I can't believe he is one already! Holy cow, time seriously flies. I love that you're doing a Tate talent show. So cute!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday Tate! I can't believe our babies are a year old!(well almost). I love the talent show idea.

Ben said...

Hooray for Tate! Hannah is still talking about that smooch she got from him :)