Thursday, October 29, 2009

Litlte Obsessions

Lately Tate has been obsessed with people "workin" and "helpin" He is so eager to help and is always wanting to "go workin" A couple of weeks ago he was with me in the kitchen and he started emptying the contents of the spice cupboard into the microwave and he kept saying he was "helpin' make dinner" A couple weekends ago Chris put winter seed on our yard and Tate stayed out there all day doing exactly what Chris was doing. It resulted in seed spilt all over the wrong places and other equally frustrating things, but I know he just wants to help!






He still is relentless with Tanner and is always bothering. Today Chris found himself saying to Tate, "Don't sit on your brother's head" Then Chris observed, "Isn't it sad that we have to tell him not to sit on his brother's head?" He likes to sit on him too, like he is riding a horse or something. AND he ALWAYS wants to "westle Tanna" A few weeks ago Tate started watching some MMA on YouTube with Chris, and he loves it. We had to stop letting him watch it because he was becoming obsessed, but he still tries to wrestle Tanner all the time and put him in choke holds with his legs. It is actually really funny. Tanner has this distinct "Tate is bothering me cry" so if I hear that coming from the other room I just have to yell, "Tate, leave your brother alone" or "Stop bothering Tanner" Then Tate will usually come in and tell me "I helpin' Tanna" Yeah right.
Despite these stories, they really do get along pretty well. Tate just wants to play with him all the time, and Tanner is not quite old enough to keep up. Tanner is just starting to crawl, but before he was so capable of getting around, Tate would pull him around by his legs while Tanner was sitting up. He would say "Scoot Tanna" And Tate would scoot him wherever he wanted to take him. Tanner actually loved it. That is how they ended up under this end table one day. They both thought it was so cool to be under there together in what Tate called his "house"

We moved Tanner into Tate's room at the beginning of the month. Tate is still in a crib, so now there are two cribs in there. It has been an adventure. As I type they are both supposed to be taking naps but I hear them cackling at each other.



For Melanie:
A little obsession I have had recently is Goodwill. I love that place. I got a dresser there on 50% off Saturday a couple weeks ago, and then when I went back to pick it up on Monday I found this fabulous quilt. I made this headboard (see the picture) a month or two ago, and I was going to make a quilt that kind of went with it, but I kept putting it off because I basically don't really love huge projects like that. So it was wonderful that I found this quilt and I think it really goes with the headboard pretty good. My bedroom is still a work in progress. But I am excited to actually be making a little progress! In the dresser behind all the drawers we found a couple of old pictures and things that belonged to the previous owners. I just love how things at Goodwill have stories and character to them. And most of the time they have so much potential! It is a treasure hunt every time.
So anyway, about this quilt. I took it to my mom's house to wash it in her big washer and my aunt was there too at the time. My aunt said that this pattern is called "double wedding ring" Look at all the tiny pieces that were quilted, can you believe that? I bought it for $8. It actually sickens me to think that someones grandma spent literally hundreds of hours on this thing and I bought it at Goodwill for that price. Our guess is that the grandma died, and then the owner of the quilt no long felt guilty giving it away. The fabric is a little funky. It is made out of "double knit polyester" (I think that is what my mom called it!) You know that kind staight out of the 70s? So supposedly this quilt will last forever. Or so my mom says.
I had a suggestion that I take it to the state fair and see if I could win a blue ribbon for it, but I decided against it! :)




6 comments:

Nursemelanie said...

oh yay!!!! I've been waiting for this post. I LOVE the quilt. how fun! and i LOVE goodwill. the goodwill's here in Boston are amazing. Keep up the goodwill shopping...or in other words..trash hunt ;) p.s. tanner and tate are soooo adorable.

Nicole said...

I know this post was for Melanie but I just wanted to say that I love that quilt!! very very cute!!!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Anne said...

I love the way you write Melissa! So hilarious. Tate seems to be quite the character with his little brother.

What an amazing quilt! You have some awesome Goodwill finds. Is that triathlon this weekend??? Let me know how it goes!

Nikki said...

You are so cute. I love that boys still wrestle and tease, because I've noticed my brothers are JUST PLAIN annoying at times. :) You made me laugh so hard. I miss ya!

Brenna said...

Tell tate he can go work for me at my job! HAHA! sooo cute! well I am back finally & Just wanted to stop by to send you an invite to my big Twilight Party check out my bloggy blog for more info!! ~b~